Thursday, January 6, 2011

Snowshoeing in Rocky Mountain National Park

The title of this post pretty much says it all. Our friend Matt invited us to go snowshoeing with him on the 2nd, which is part of why we were scrambling to clean and get things ready on the 1st for our guests. We spent all afternoon up in Rocky Mountain National Park, came home to shower, and then our friends arrived late that night. More posts/pictures on their (very much enjoyed) visit coming soon- including my first time snowboarding!- but for now here are some shots of the snowshoeing adventure. I love hiking, and I love snow, so I think snowshoeing is going to become one of my favorite activities.
The weather was absolutely perfect, and there were lots of social trails that had been created by previous foot traffic.
Nice clear skies gave us gorgeous views.

The boys (Bobby left, Matt right) after we crossed the first frozen lake.
It was very, very steep here. The picture doesn't do it justice.
From the tree line to directly behind me is the first frozen lake. It was a bit disconcerting for me to walk across. But I recently read the book "The Golden Compass" (more on that later, I adore that series) and so I was talking about "mastering my fear" a la Iorek Byrnison, the ice bear. Yes, that entire sentence was pretty much "dorky dork dork dork blah blah bah".
I only fell once, because I instinctively tried to walk backwards. And walking backwards in snowshoes requires some forethought. Which I lacked. Clearly.
But I took the opportunity to make my first snow angel of the season. Lemons, lemonade, you know the drill.
Some hill hiking off the trail.
Group shot from a stranger in exchange for the group shot we took of him and his hiking partner.
I'm still in awe that I live this close to this kind of natural beauty.
Coming up on the second frozen lake.
Mastering my fear again as I tromp across the second frozen lake.
Re-adjusting my straps on the last leg of the hike back to the car

The hike we went on was pretty short- only 2 miles total- but we were out for about 3 hours and it was steep. Steep like whoa. I was pretty sore later that day which kind of hurt my pride a bit but walking in snowshoes requires constant high knees action type movements. Matt invited us out next time for cross country skiing. Can I just say, one more time, how much I love Colorado? Because I do. So very, very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment