Monday, January 17, 2011

Dr. King

I hope you're all enjoying today. It's one of my favorite holidays. This song never, ever ceases to bring tears to my eyes. Especially the line "sometimes I lay down, no more can I do/then I go on again, because you asked me to". It's important to remember that what was asked of him- his very life- is a sacrifice that many others made with him as well. I can't imagine the courage of that conviction, I don't know if I myself have it in me, but I am in awe of it. Many people have read or heard his "I Have a Dream" speech, but equally moving to me is his letter from Birmingham jail. If you haven't read it, you can read it here.
Align Center


"...And I've looked over, and I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you, but I want you to know tonight that we as a people we will get to the promised land. So I'm happy tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man." Martin Luther King Jr speech in Memphis, April 3, 1968, the day before he was assassinated

No comments:

Post a Comment