Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Putting it Out There

This week is my first week on the Couch to 5K program. I have tried to start this two or three times before, my pride got the better of me and I ran waaaay more than I was supposed to, I hurt myself, and I had to quit.

Just a little background- I already had a birth defect at the base of my spine. Then, my Senior year of Varsity cheerleading I was dropped from a fully extended stunt. They tried to catch me, I folded up, and landed square on my tailbone/left hip- on the gym floor. Terrible injury. Since then, my back has gone out 4 times, to the point of not being able to sit without excruciating pain. If anyone has ever had a tailbone injury, you know how painful this is. Now, imagine it lingering from the ages of 18 to 22, and then still flaring up. The two worst times were when I threw my back out and was bedridden for two weeks, and my senior year of college when I threw it out for *four months*. I couldn't sit or lay on my back, had to stand in the back of classrooms to take notes, other people had to drive me so I could put the passenger seat down all the way, lay on my side, and buckle up... it was super depressing. Prior to my injury, I was a long distance runner, and a good one at that. Two years ago I discovered the miracle of power yoga, and while my hip/back twinges, it hasn't gone out since then. Thanks yoga, you're a pal. The problem is, while I do very challenging, hour long, power/ashtanga/vinyasa flow yoga about 4 times a weeks, it's not helping me in the cardio department. Even our 25 mile plus bike rides aren't challenging enough.

So, I am returning once more to running. It's a great workout, it will help me keep my heart healthy, and if my elusive competitive side comes out it would be fun to run 5K's, 10K's, and perhaps even half marathons...

But for now, I will be alternating running 60 seconds and walking 90 seconds, for a total of 20 minutes 3 times this week. Considering I am capable of jogging a mile right now- I've done so several times in the last year- this is kind of bruising my pride a *wee* bit. But, I also have to remember that while I am capable, cardio wise, of running a mile, every single time I have done so my hip/back has freaked out and I've been out of commission for a week. So, clearly I need to work my bones up to the challenge.

Here's to swallowing my pride, respecting my limits, and becoming a runner again!

No comments:

Post a Comment