Friday, April 2, 2010

Taking the Easy Way Out

Yeah, so this is going to be a pretty straightforward blog...

In general, I find it easier to just be nice. I try to make positive assumptions about people, give them the benefit of the doubt, and generally just respond with getting nicer when people get shittier**. I just figure it's way easier to be nice to people than to be a bitter, angry, resentful, raging person reacting to everything around me in the absolute worst way possible, taking everything personally, and generally making the worst assumptions about people and situations. I can't even begin to comprehend how exhausting that would be. I'm not always sunshine and kitten sweat, but I try. Because, well, why not? Wouldn't everything be a bit better for everyone if we were all a bit nicer? I basically love this quote-

“There is no beautifier of complexion, or form, or behaviour, like the wish to scatter joy and not pain around us.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yeah, I'd agree with you RWE. And I specifically referred to you by your initials to make that sentence rhyme. Yes, I'm a nerd.

**Please note that there are exceptions to this- I have called out people in public for being racist/homophobic/sexist, for being overtly aggressive to me, for crossing boundaries, etc. I'm more talking about day to day, ho hum, driving around town going to the grocery store dealing with people on a general basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment