Sunday, August 1, 2010

Bike Rides and Puppies



I've mentioned before that Bobby and I volunteer at the local no-kill shelter. It's about 26 miles roundtrip to go on bikes, and we get to enjoy all three of the awesome trails our city has to offer. Plus, I never turn down a chance to wear my sweet helmet.



And we're off! A gorgeous day and a fabulous trail. All 3 trails are well maintained, with wide paved trails. They are almost completely secluded from roads, so it's like a little bike highway network you can use to get all over town without have to deal with traffic.





Right before we dump out onto the street where the shelter is, everything opens up and the view of the mountains is great.



The shelter is located right next to a big natural area, with walking trails that lead down to a lake. The dogs enjoy the lake :)






We walked sprinted with two dogs for about a mile of outdoor fun- the two little guys were Rudy and Darius- and then we went back for another round of walk/sprinting, this time with Brogan, the big white dog. Some dogs don't play well with others, so Brogan was a solo jaunt. After 13 miles, and sprinting/walking 2 miles, we got back on our bikes for the 13 miles home. By this time it was quite hot, and I was quite hungry. I've never been so happy for a shower and a smoothie, followed very quickly by a nap.

I can't say it enough, if you're going to adopt *please* check out your local shelters and puppy mill rescues. So many sweet dogs need homes! And speaking of not being able to say enough about something, I love our bike trails, bike lanes, and bike friendly culture here in town. I really enjoy cycling around town and am glad I can do it in relative safety. Except in parking lots. Gotta watch those parking lots.

5 comments:

  1. Love it - volunteering and exercise in one. We rescued our Dahlia from the Pug Rescue here and it was the best decision ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a huge benefit for us to- we get to be all do-goodery and still get in a long bike ride. It can be daunting to get up the motivation for a long ride when there isn't a reason/destination for it.

    That's so awesome you got your pup from a rescue. I always tell people that I *totally* understand the draw of certain breeds, and usually there are breed specific rescues, especially puppy mill rescues. So you can still get the breed/type of dog you want, and rescue a little nugget in need of a home :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh look at that sky! Okay, so I've been trying to figure out how to get email updates from blogger, and I may have done it now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arielle I can't tell you how glad I am that you're only updating the one blog, haha. Makes it a lot easier to keep up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How the hell do I subscribe to get emails or an rss feed or something for your blog! I feel like my mother, impotent in my ability to figure this out... I'll go look around again...

    ReplyDelete