Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Mummy Bags, or, Always Be Prepared

The first time Bobby and I camped together was in Amarillo, TX on a very cold night. That kicked off a 3 week long Western U.S. road trip that involved another camping night in Moab, UT. Since we've been in Colorado, we've camped in Rocky Mountain National Park and Wind Cave National Park in South Dakota. The point is, we like to camp, and we plan on doing a lot of it this summer- this weekend in fact, when our friends come into town, we're heading out to do just that! But another point is that Bobby and I have been using copious piles of blankets and old Army Surplus Store sleeping bags, coupled with too-short sleeping pads. The result is that we're often a bit cold, and we're always packing mounds of sleeping accessories that don't lend themselves well to hiking out in the woods and camping in the back country.

After every trip, Bobby mentions getting new sleeping bags. Last week, he called me from REI giddy over his new purchase- a clearanced mummy bag sleeping bag that was temperature rated to around 30 degrees. When he got home, he couldn't wait to show me. I don't know if it's just me, but I can't stop laughing anytime I see these pictures...
 I think you understand now why it's called a mummy bag...
 This. Picture. Every. Time. The first time I saw it I just laughed and laughed. I don't know why it seems so absurd to me.

Since I needed a sleeping bag as well, we went back the next night to take advantage of the clearance. I had to "try on" the mummy bags since they're more fitted than a regular sleeping bag. I ended up with the same one as Bobby, just the women's version. My picture isn't nearly as ridiculous...
 I dunno, maybe it is...
These things are fun to inch worm around in. They're a bit hard to get out of, but that's what makes them so warm. I'm excited to try them out this weekend when Karin and Hermes come in. We're camping up in the Poudre Canyon, which is only a half hour drive from our house. Once again, I love living in Colorado.

No comments:

Post a Comment